It’s no secret that cinnamon is a tasty, fragrant addition to your coffee. It packs a powerful punch and leaves you eager for more. So, when you see the cinnamon floating around atop your coffee rather than dissolving and mixing it with your drink, it can be quite frustrating.
This frustration leads to the most logical questions. Is it possible to dissolve cinnamon, specifically in coffee? How do you dissolve cinnamon in coffee?
Because of the chemical components that make up cinnamon and make the spice water-resistant, it cannot be dissolved or melted into a liquid. Using cinnamon sticks, making cinnamon syrup, or using a cream with cinnamon are alternative options to get that flavor and aroma in your coffee.
Keep reading to learn how to best flavor your coffee with cinnamon.
- Can’t Dissolve? Try These Methods to Add Cinnamon to Coffee
- Why Use Cinnamon in Coffee?
- In Conclusion
Can’t Dissolve? Try These Methods to Add Cinnamon to Coffee
Cinnamon is one of the most popular and commonly used spices. Unfortunately, its chemical makeup leaves it virtually water-resistant, which makes sense when you consider that cinnamon comes from the bark of a tree. So, if cinnamon doesn’t really dissolve in any liquid, let alone coffee, what options do you have?
Use Ground Cinnamon
While cinnamon doesn’t dissolve in coffee, there are other ways to get the powerful aromas and flavorful punch that cinnamon packs. Simply sprinkling the ground cinnamon into your coffee mug won’t work. We all know what the nasty, cinnamon-brown sludge looks like when sprinkled onto hot coffee.
Consider adding ground cinnamon directly to the coffee filter with the coffee grounds before brewing. The chemical process changes when you add it to the brewing process rather than to an already hot liquid. Your entire house will have that comforting cinnamony smell. You can try these tips to make your experience better:
- Grind your own cinnamon with your coffee beans to blend the mixture better.
- Use ground cinnamon with the pour-over method for best results.
Cinnamon Sticks Work Well
Using ground cinnamon isn’t the only way to enhance your coffee with the tricky little spice. Utilizing whole cinnamon sticks is another way to get the strong, sweet flavor of cinnamon in your coffee. Simply add a cinnamon stick to your already brewed coffee, and the flavors will seep into your beverage.
- Stir your coffee with a cinnamon stick.
- Add a cinnamon stick to your bag of coffee grounds for the added benefit of the pungent aroma.
Make A Simple Syrup
Another great way to improve your coffee with cinnamon is by adding simple syrup. The cinnamon syrup can be made with just three ingredients: water, cinnamon sticks, and brown sugar. The simple syrup will add all the powerful flavors with much less hassle. Check out these tips:
- Make your own simple syrup instead of purchasing it.
- Bottle extra syrup to have it on hand for multiple beverages: coffee, tea, hot cocoa, etc.
- Use cinnamon sticks instead of ground cinnamon so that the flavors are more subtle yet better infused.
- Use either light or dark brown sugar, these work better compared to white sugar.
- Try to stick with filtered water if possible.
A simple syrup is just that: simple. Follow these simple steps to make a simple cinnamon syrup:
- Toss all your ingredients into a saucepan to simmer.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to steep.
- Strain the mixture and pour it into an airtight container.
Try Cinnamon Creamer
This is a terrific option if you enjoy creamer in your coffee and still want the powerful flavors of cinnamon. Adding a bit of cinnamon-flavored coffee creamer is a simple yet effective way to enjoy the flavors and aromas of cinnamon in your coffee.
You can achieve the desired results in one of two ways:
- Purchase cinnamon-flavored coffee creamer. Doing this takes away some of the hassles. However, it becomes a hit-or-miss situation because cinnamon is more of a seasonal flavor.
- Enjoy the process of making your own cinnamon creamer/cream.
With limited hassle, you could enjoy the bitter-sweet flavors of cinnamon coffee creamer without concern for its availability. Make your own cinnamon creamer using one of these recipes:
- Homemade Cinnamon Coffee Creamer
- Homemade Cinnamon Coffee Creamer-All Recipes
- Cinnamon Bun Coffee Creamer-Mama Cooks
Why Use Cinnamon in Coffee?
It’s no secret that cinnamon has an amazing smell and a powerful taste, but did you know it’s also good for you? Because cinnamon is rich in antioxidants and other beneficial components, the spice can both benefit solo and enhance the benefits of coffee.
Health Benefits of Cinnamon
Cinnamon has been used for both flavorful powers and medicinal purposes for thousands of years. There are several benefits that cinnamon provides, according to this Healthline article, including:
- Cinnamon may contain anti-inflammatory properties that can help lower your risk for diseases.
- Can help control blood sugar by increasing your sensitivity to insulin.
- May have positive effects on those who suffer from some sort of neurodivergent disease.
Cinnamon Enhances the Benefits of Coffee
Not only does cinnamon offer its own health benefits, but the spice can also enhance the natural health benefits of coffee. Coffee is one of the few things that are acceptable in most diets. This is because coffee can act as an appetite suppressant. There are a few benefits to mixing cinnamon into your coffee:
- Mixed with cinnamon, coffee can become a powerful tool on your weight loss journey.
- Cinnamon and coffee can be used as a natural remedy for colds and viruses.
- It can also improve your mental ability and focus.
- Both contain anti-inflammatory properties, according to the National Library of Medicine.
Unfortunately, it’s highly unlikely that you will be able to dissolve cinnamon in your coffee. This is mostly because cinnamon comes from the bark of a tree, so it’s nearly waterproof. However, there are a few very simple ways to enjoy the aromatic flavors of cinnamon in your coffee.
If you really want to use ground cinnamon, grind cinnamon sticks with your coffee beans to get your desired outcome. You could also just stir your coffee with a whole cinnamon stick. Making a simple syrup is another great way, or even making your own cinnamon coffee creamer.
Cinnamon has so many benefits and can even enhance the benefits of coffee. Not to mention, it’s quite enjoyable to sip that hot, flavor-packed coffee while the comforting smell lingers.
Is cinnamon safe to consume in coffee?
Absolutely! In fact, using Ceylon is highly recommended to improve the health benefits of both your coffee and cinnamon.
Can I use whole cinnamon sticks instead of ground cinnamon?
Definitely. You can use whole cinnamon sticks in your coffee or even just stir your coffee with the cinnamon stick to increase the potency of the cinnamon.
How much cinnamon should I add to my coffee?
About ¼ teaspoon to 1 cup. For a stronger flavor, up to 1 teaspoon per cup would be good.
Can I make a cinnamon syrup with honey or maple syrup instead of sugar?
Give it a try! Playing around with different flavors to create your simple cinnamon syrup is a fun way to get the most desired outcome.
Does cinnamon affect the caffeine content of coffee?
It doesn’t. Because cinnamon doesn’t contain caffeine, it doesn’t increase the caffeine content of your coffee. However, because of the chemical makeup of cinnamon, it can provide a little energy boost.
- Pressurized vs. Non-Pressurized Portafilters: Who Wins? - October 12, 2023
- De’Longhi La Specialista Prestigia Review: Barista’s Dream? - October 12, 2023
- Top 5 WDT Coffee Distribution Tools Every Barista Should Have in 2023 - October 11, 2023